Going Green 🌱



Green screen technology is a great way to get kids active in being creative, using technology, and expanding what they know about a topic.
I would use green screen technology in the classroom having kids explore using language arts more fluently by retelling a story, poem, or part of Scripture.
These are the steps the students and I would follow:
  1. First I would put them in groups of 3-4 and let them choose what they are going to retell from a list of options. I would make sure that we have already examined and discussed these stories or poems in class. Their options would include poems, short stories, picture storybooks, sections of longer books, Bible stories, and passages of Scripture. 
  2. Then students would have to choose how they want to tell the story – such as by using a narrator and changing the backdrop pictures/videos or by acting it out and inserting different backgrounds.
  3. Once they have planned out their project, I would record the students in front of the green screen.
  4. Then I would show the whole class how to use the green screen app "Green Screen by Do Ink" 🐙and they would use it to edit their photos/video.
  5. Lastly, I would grade them based on their creativity, their language arts fluency (reading, narrating, speaking, acting), story accuracy, and use of green screen technology
Here is a short sample video of this in action. This is me reciting Psalm 23 (it is probably not as detailed as I would have students do it - but I had to make due with one person): 





I used the app called "Green Screen Live Video Record" 📹because it was free, but I was not very impressed with it because it made you record on the app and it did not always read the green screen. So I would recommend using the one by Do Ink 🐙even thought it is $2.99, and if I was teaching it to students I would use Do Ink🐙 for sure.


Green screen can be incorporated into all different subjects
  • Science🔬
  • Math➗
  • History📚
  • Bible📖
  • Art🎨
  • Music🎭
  • Language arts ✍ (like this idea!)

🚸Kids love to be creative and make fun projects. When you combine those elements with technology, success is imminent!

PS: Thanks Reimi for your help! Here is a green screen pic of her just for fun!

Comments

  1. This is great Sharon. I especially liked how you were able to incorporate this into a lesson. The video quality was not too bad for a free app too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Cheap and free always has drawbacks, but you can see how much fun students could have with this and not be limited by a school's "lack of budget." Reimi, love you space shot! Good job diving into the project and learning the technology and thinking of how you can integrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I remember you telling me about the Bible verse and it came out great! I just have to say that Reimi is my favorite! Really great job in thinking of a great way to use the green screen in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why a Rubric is not a Rubik's Cube